Friday, October 1

SA Fashion Week Wednesday: Night Time (Ridic title!)

Hey guys! Thanks for your delish comments - it feels like we all went on this mad ride together. I've decided to split the 'night' pics into a couple of posts because I've just gone through the lot and there are zillions! So, to begin with, this is just a general 'ambiance' post of the whole shindig. These posts may get a bit wordy but I did go there to 'cover' the darn thing so I better scribble up some thoughts! (Feel free to skip my rambling and scan the pics instead!)

Photobucket

At 5:30pm, we arrived at the Arts on Main building. If you've never been, this is a cool, erm, building with lots of exposed brick, stark walls, warehouse style roofing and a pretty high-heel wrecking pebble-strewn courtyard. We wandered in and my first impression was 'everyone looks amazing' but 'where is everyone else?' I was struck by how few people there were in attendance to how I had imagined there would be. Note: There were, however, more than those five people in the pic above!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

We then negotiated the arty albeit uneven concrete floors inside to collect our tickets and passes. I had a complete panic when I was told my name was not on the list but then I realised I wasn't at the media desk - nutter. My gang of Nicole, Brett, Simone and Casey had some champers while I, too nervous to even drink, poked around with my camera and started to think, I could be standing next to some famous SA fashion designer and not even know it - note to self: do research next time!

Photobucket
Photobucket

I followed the gang outside who started casually chatting with Jackie Burger! (She's the editor of Elle SA for those that don't know. Not everyone who reads Gloss has a 'pash for fash' as they say!) Then I bumped into Angie of iFashion who is a total riot - we hit it off instantly! Angie is so confident when it comes to taking street style pics while I was cringing out at the thought of asking people. She let me piggyback on her bravery and we both snapped Jackie at the same time. Suddenly, Angie ducked and I was left standing alone with Jackie Burger! I tried to play it cool but all I could think of was to compliment her on her pink blazer. She must get that all the time but her blazer was amazing and she was totally lovely. I shuffled off after that, in fear of blurting out something totally ridiculous (and ruining any potential freelance gigs with Elle. A shameful hint I know!)

Photobucket
Photobucket

The night was a bit of a blur really! Casey and co left after the first show and I sort of wandered around, hoping to recognise some faces and snap a cool pic or two. I headed into the media room where I met lovely Jasna (and a gorgeous vintage-style blogger whose name has embarrassingly escaped me!) The next thing I knew, a chap called Thulani was asking us if we wanted to meet Jackie. We were like, 'Erm, yes please!' I'm letting myself off the hook for geeking out with excitement at my first Fashion Week. Well, as I said, Jackie is just a darn delight. We had a great chat about new media, blogging and the perceived glamour of magazines. I didn't get the vibe that she expects a medium-rare steak and a soy Vida on her desk by 12:01pm everyday ala Wintour!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Soon after that I bumped into sweet Nadia who did a stellar job working on the Elle New Talent show. I also saw Brandon of Crossing Point whose pic came out blurry so I'm linking to his band's website in lieu! I'll admit, there were times when all the air kissing got a bit too much for me but I suppose a bit of fashion fakery is to be expected at these do's. I did however, meet loads of down-to-earth souls who also just happened to be ridiculously talented. All in all, it was a rather full-on experience for a laid-back Durbanite like myself! Occasionally someone asked 'who I was representing' and I felt a bit embarrassed saying, 'Erm, I write this blog called Glossary.' But never mind! Should I attend another one of these do's, I'll be far more chilled and will plug old Gloss with a whack of enthusiasm. Posts of the shows and stylist, Nicole van Heerden's, flat coming up!
blog comments powered by Disqus