Thursday, April 1

Reading and Mrs Marian Keyes

Hello! We've just begun a four-day long weekend here in South Africa! Tomorrow I'm going to sleep in and do as little as possible. Brilliant! Yesterday I said I was gonna start reading the new Marian Keyes. I was mistaken. I'm actually going to be reading 'Under the Duvet' which came out before the newly released 'The Brightest Star.' My mom has lent it to me and she's currently reading 'The Brightest Star' which she says is heeelarious. I must confess, this is actually the first Marian Keyes that I will be reading. I know, I know, I'm ten million years late to the party. For ages, people have told me to read her books and that I'll just adore them but for some reason, I just haven't got round to it. I'm actually quite rubbish when it comes to reading books. I haven't even read all that many in my life! But whenever I do read one, I always think, 'gosh this is so nice, I really must read more.' I found it alot easier to read in London when I had all that time to kill on the tube and train. So what do I like to read? Well, I like a good chuckle, something uplifting and fun that I can bury into with a cuppa tea. On Formspring, someone asked me who my favourite author is. Isn't it just lovely when someone wants to know something like that? Anyway, I replied by saying 'Sue Townsend because she wrote the wonderful Adrian Mole series. The Cappucino Years is my fave of the lot. Cracks me up every time! I have to read it with tea and fruit gums. Nice question, thanks:)' My other favourites are Mike Gayle and Bill Bryson. Thing is, I find I just reread their books instead of trying new ones. I must make more of an effort to ask people for recommendations. Ok, back to 'Under the Duvet.' Well, I should probably admit that a book really has to grab me with the first few lines. I know people say you must give music and books a chance to grow on ya but eh, I gotta be hooked straight away! Well, I've just read the first five pages of 'Under the Duvet' and I LOVE it so much I had to blog about it! The result of which is this very self-indulgent post about my reading habits. I just had to highlight these two bits for my digital scrapbook. ie: this blog

Photobucket
Haha! I've also been told that as a copywriter, I should carry a notebook but I never do. If I had to do a proper 'What's in my bag' post you'd be quite horrified. It's a pretty grim mess of till slips glued together by old restaurant mints. Delightful.

Photobucket
This little gem! One of my friends is writing a book and when she told me one of the characters was based on me, my immediate reaction was one of sheer terror. T, if you're reading this, I'm sure your book is awesome and I am very flattered but yes, I'm a wee bit scared.

Anyway, I better get back to actually reading the dang thing now. If you know of any other books, I might like, I'd be very grateful for your suggestions. I also wanted to say thank you for your lovely comments about my new boots and dress. It's so lovely that we can all swoon over clothes together. Have a lovely Thursday evening and we'll chat soon!

PS:  It just occurred to me that if you've never heard of this book, I actually haven't told you what it's about at all! How about I do so once I've read it? Alrighty, will do.

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

10 comments:

Amanda said...

La,when you are done with Under the Duvet, I have Further Under the Duvet. Let me know if you would like to give it a read. Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

I love Bill Bryson and Sue Townsend, have you read her book 'The Queen and I'? It's so funny, truly brilliant. I think she's so impressive as well to keep writing even after she was registered blind.

I will have to give Marion Keyes a go though, I don't think I've read anything by her.

Lauren Setterberg said...

Thanks Mands! Harriet, hi! I do have the Queen and I but I've yet to read it. (so bad) will do after this book! Thanks for reminding me:)

S and O said...

I'm definitely gonna have to check that book out now...never heard of it before :)

xoxo
Olivia

Miss Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Molly said...

i have a long flight coming up at the end of this month so was really desperate to find a good book because i don't sleep on planes!! thanks so much for the tip hun, definitely need to get my hands on it!
xoxoxoxoxoxo

People call me Mel said...

Marian Keyes..... aaaah, yes oh yes oh yes. too much brilliance in one person...

Lauren Setterberg said...

Hee, so true Mel. Oh, Miss Molly, where are you off to?

Nadia Jonker said...

I finished my book last week and was so sad...it was called I heart New York and I loved it. I read absolute silly stories about love and running around in heels. Not the stuff that create literature is made of! I only do happy ending with witty moments. I can't always stay away from sad movies, but in the book realm I can pick what I like. I wasn't reading for ages and then finally started again...(skeptical at first) it has been such stress relief. Today I started a new book about a girl who opens a vintage dress shop. Very excited to see where her story leads...love, romance and lots of clothes. I like it. Hope you enjoy your book to the very last page!

Lauren Setterberg said...

Ohhh, that book about the vintage shop girl sounds so cute! Let me know how it is. x