I’ve watched The September Issue at least three times in the past week! I’m not going to review it on Glossary but rather tell you why I’m completely enamored with the Vogue visionary who stole the show – Creative Director, Grace Coddington.
Firstly, a bit about Grace…She was born in Wales where she attended a convent. At 17 she won a Vogue modeling contest and moved to London where she worked as a model. After a car crash cut her modeling career short, Grace joined British Vogue as a Junior Editor and in July 1988, she began her career at U.S. Vogue. Now in her late sixties, Grace is as cutting-edge as she was in the sixties.
Until The September Issue, I had no idea who Grace was but now I am besotted with her!
Here are ten reasons why she inspires me.
1. Grace proves you can be brilliant and relatable.
2. She still catches the subway - the subway!
3. She knows how to bring a vision to life.
4. Her no-nonsense uniform of black dresses, black trousers and white shirts.
5. She inspires confidence and respect.
6. Grace isn’t just out to flog stuff. She tells stories of beauty.
7. She cares about her work and the people she works with.
8. She doesn’t slag off designers and collections.
9. She’s unabashedly passionate about her work.
10. She appreciates the beauty in every day life.
Pic courtesy of Hanneli.com
You can read a wonderful interview with her here. x